Wednesday, August 19, 2009

This really annoys me

I'm so tired of getting this from people:
Oh, you have cancer again?
Me: yes, same kind, breast cancer.
Them: oh, well, are you going to have surgery this time?
Me: I had a double mastecomy last time.
Them: oh? and it came back?
This is what I get from the conversation: if I had been smart I would have had a mastectomy the first time and since they think I didn't it's not that suprising that the cancer came back. Like they think I wasn't smart enough to get it done. (Of course, I don't look like I had a double mastectomy, very nice reconstruction job).
Now, it is everyone's choice what type of surgery they get. I had three doctors reccomment double mastectomy and I didn't want to go through this again so that is what I did. And it still came back.
Anyway, what I am trying to say, less than elegantly, is that I am so tired of people thinking I didn't do it right the first time. But, there is no right way for everyone so of course I did it right. But, I was also very aggressive in my treatment, 29 chemos and a double mastectomy. No, I didn't have radiation but is because radiation isn't typical when there is nothing left to radiate and you don't have it spread to lymph nodes and you have chemo. The risk of getting another type of cancer from radiation outweighed the benefit of radiation at that time knowing what we knew.
So I'll be getting a PET scan next Wednesday to double check everything, then hopefully 2 more chemos and then a month off and then radiation.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and sending you lots of prayers and positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete